Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Summer Recipe Tasty Deviled Egg Recipe


I usually fix first deviled egg recipes of the spring at Easter dinner. Traditionally, chickens don't lay eggs in the winter so the first good eggs of the spring always went into a family deviled egg dish. When I lived in Oregon and raised my own chickens, I had dozens of extra eggs to I was always in charge of bringing the deviled eggs to the family dinner.

My own deviled egg recipe is pretty simple. I usually figure 2-3 deviled eggs per person and remember, one egg makes 2 deviled eggs. I usually cook a couple extra so I have plenty of filling for each deviled egg.

Ingredients

6 hard boiled eggs
1/4 c mayonnaise
3 Tbs mustard
1 Tbs Italian salad dressing
Salt and pepper to taste
paprika for topping

Start by choosing eggs without any cracks. A cracked egg can harbor bacteria and should always be thrown away.

Place your eggs in a medium cooking pot. Add enough cold water to cover the eggs, along with about a teaspoon of salt. This makes the eggs easier to peel later. Bring water to a boil and turn to medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes.

Once your eggs are boiled and cooled, peel off the shells. If your eggs are ultra fresh, you might have a harder time peeling them but the salt water should help that.

Slice eggs in half, being careful to keep the white part from splitting or cracking. If any of your white halves do split, put them aside. I always like to have extra yolk so the filling is fuller in each egg.

Separate the yolk and white part. Put the yolks in a bowl and put the white half on a plate.

Separate the white and yolk
Separate the white and yolk

Mash the yolks with a fork. Add all ingredients except the paprika and blend well. If your filling seems to crumbly, add a little more mayo. It's hard to say exactly how much of the mayo and mustard you need but start slow. It's easier to add more than to take away the extra and you don't want your filling to be too liquidy. You want your filling to be firm so a scoop of it piles up well on the egg white.

mash, add mustard and mayo
mash, add mustard and mayo

Scoop filling into each egg white half and arrange on a plate or dish. I usually put my deviled eggs in a 9x13 baking dish if I need to put them in the frig or transport them. Then I put arrange them on a plate just before serving.

Sprinkle paprika over the eggs to decorate.

Cover very lightly with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated until serving.

Pile filling high into egg white
Pile filling high into egg white

This deviled egg recipe is very simple and deviled eggs make a great addition to a spring or summer meal, or add to a meal as an appetizer.

No comments: