Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Green Smoothie Life - Sprouting Seeds at Home

As I wait for my Vitamix to arrive so I can start making Green Smoothies, I've been researching the best way to have a constant supply of green ingredients. One easy way is sprouting various types of seeds, even broccoli, to blend into my smoothie recipes.

Sprouting takes little time and effort and you don't need garden space to grow sprouts. I haven't done any sprouting in years and back then, my only equipment was glass jars with sprouting lids. Today there is a vast array of sprouters out there to make it easier. Plus it's easy to find a huge variety of seeds to include in your sprouting mix.

I spent a couple of days researching sprouters and decided on the Easy Sprout Sprouter - 1 set,(Frontier). I looked into other, more expensive sprouting systems and the Frontier got the best ratings on Amazon for being easy to use and for living up to its name.

The Frontier sprouter is less expensive than others too. I paid a little less than $14 for mine (I ended up ordering two of them so I'd have a good supply of sprouts).

I got quite a few different sprouting seeds on Amazon too. I chose these, which are all organic varieties:

Certified Organic Wheatgrass Sprouting Seed - 5 lbs

Organic Sprouting Seeds Salad Mix 1 Pound Alfalfa, Clover, Radish, Broccoli

Organic Sprouting Seeds Hard Wheat for Wheatgrass 5 Pounds

Embracing the Green Smoothie Life is going to include quite a few changes but I am happy about growing more of my own food. Sprouts got a bad rap several years ago with the e-coli scare but if you grow your own sprouts, you don't need to worry about food-born illnesses.

I've decided to blog about my green smoothie experience and right now I'm just at the stage of assembling everything I will need to make the change. After a great deal of research and asking friends who drink green smoothies, I settled on the Vitamix and I've been very happy with their customer service and with the many features offered.

You can visit the Vitamix website and learn more about green smoothies, and find some recipes there. If you order through this link, you also receive free shipping - a $25 value!

No comments: