Monday, May 3, 2010

Join the Green Smoothie Revolution

I recently joined the Green Smoothie Revolution. My diet is pretty healthy but after reading about making smoothies from whole, raw fruits and veggies, and all the health benefits, I decided to take my lifestyle program to the next level.

What Are Green Smoothies?

Green Smoothies are made of nutritious and delicious fruits and vegetables.
In green smoothies, you break down these veggies into liquid, which releases all the wonderful nutrients and enzymes for use by your body. Cooking often destroys many of these so by eating them raw, you're getting the full benefit.Once these whole foods are broken down to smoothie form, the nutrients are more usable by the body and users report more energy, weight loss and a decrease in health issues.

When blended into a delicious smoothie, you can use veggies like kale, spinach, Swiss chard and mustard greens - all wonderful foods that we don't eat enough of.

Moms report that even kids love them! I plan to try this concept on my three grandchildren, who are all under age 5, and test it out for myself. I'll keep you posted on the results.

I've loved healthy smoothies for years and always start my day with a fruit smoothie made with banana and blueberries. However, I wanted to start incorporating more whole foods into my daily diet by adding some green smoothie recipes as well.

Plus, green smoothies are convenient. Whip them up the night before and they are ready to grab on the way out the door in the morning. You can keep your green smoothies for up to 48 hours in the frig so if you whip up a large batch, it will save time.

What Do You Need to Make Green Smoothies?


1. Lots of fruits and veggies, fresh and preferably organic.
2. A powerful blender - a regular blender just won't cut up spinach and kale, or whole lemons!

That's really all you need. I researched blenders through Consumer reports and asked the folks on my organic foods forum for recommendations. The most recommended blender was the Vitamix. It the power and features you need to make Green Smoothie Recipes easy. Plus you can lots of other things with it as well.

Check out the Vitamix website and if you order through this link, you'll receive free shipping - a $25 value! The Vitamix website also offers a Green Smoothie section with recipes.

Stay tuned for future blog postings about my Green Smoothie journey. I'll be posting recipes, tips for saving money, like growing your own sprouts, and giving my honest opinion of the value of green smoothies on the Path to Healthy Living.

1 comment:

Emily Brett said...

Robyn is doing a good job at sharing the information about green smoothies. Also make sure you check out Victoria Boutenko, the woman who discovered green smoothies. Robyn also recommends learning from Victoria.