Healthy food shopping in your dairy case:
- Healthy yogurts provide lots of immune boosting probiotics. Try brands like DanActive and Activia for an extra punch of probiotics.
- Greek yogurt is becoming more common in supermarkets and is rich in calcium but contains twice the protein of regular yogurt. It's smooth, creamy texture makes it a great idea for those who want to shop healthy.
- contains no added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. Just add fresh fruit for nutrition and taste.
- Eggs received a bad rap for many years because of the cholesterol issue but recent studies find eggs a smart buy for healthy food shopping. One egg yolk contains 25% of your daily requirement of choline, a nutrient linked to lowered breast cancer rates. The antioxidants in eggs are also linked to lowering the risk of muscular degeneration and cataracts.
- Shop healthy with omega 3 fortified eggs. Omega 3 fatty acids are heart-healthy but it's hard to eat enough fish to get your daily requirement of 1,000 mg. Omega 3 fortified eggs are created by feeding chickens flax seed or some other omega 3 filled feed and each one contains up to 300 mg of this important nutrient.
- Organic milk is also easier to find now days for those who want to shop healthy. Organic milk contains more nutrients and CLA (which aids weight loss) than non-organic and you can find it in fat free and skimmed too.
- Trans fat free margarines should go on every healthy shopping list. New margarines also contain added plant stanols which naturally help reduce the LDL or "bad" cholesterol.
- If you eat beef, choose grain fed and organic, if possible. These options are becoming more available in supermarkets.
- Organic beef is from cattle raised with no antibiotics or hormones in their diets and whose diets were organic feed only.
- Grass fed beef - Grass is the natural diet of cattle, as opposed to being grain fed, and grass fed beef contains more nutrients, like Vitamin E and CLA, plus omega 3 fatty acids.
To help save money when you shop healthy, check out company websites for coupons. Here are some companies which have healthy products and offer online coupons:
Stonyfield Organic yogurts
Natural & Organic Food Coupons
Kashi - organic cereals